For the bolognese sauce:
- 500g lamb or beef mince
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- Oregano, about a tablespoon full
- Worcestershire Sauce, about a tablespoon
- Half a glass of red wine
- Also, you'll need sheets of lasagne!
Fry off the chopped onion and mince until brown. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and when it is boiling put it in the oven for 30 minutes with a lid on. (Do this in a saucepan)
For the cheese sauce
- 1 ounce of butter (or a very large knob)
- 1 tbs flour (or enough to make the butter turn into a dry blob (like blu-tac))
- Grated cheese - when I did this with Tom and Ali, Tom put an amazing amount in; it was delish! More cheese = good stuff
Melt the butter and add the flour. Stir to a thick paste - it should be a "solid".
Gradually add some milk, stirring all the time. If you do not do this, it will go lumpy. When it starts to thicken, pour in a little more milk. Basically do this until you have enough to cover your baking dish once. It should boil (so the flour has cooked).
When thick, add grated cheese and stir in. (Do this in a saucepan).
Assembling the lasagne itself:
- Layer of bolognese (about half of your pot worth).
- Then layer of lasagne
- Then the rest of the bolognese.
- More lasagne
- Cover with cheese sauce and lay on some chopped fresh tomatoes and a little more grated cheese.
Cook for 30-45 minutes in a hot oven. Check the top does not burn.
Serve with mashed potato, carrots, spinach and courgettes (if you are that way inclined).
Proper home cooking.